Beeline, SymbolTalker A-D and Vocabulary For Life
These symbol-based communication vocabularies are included free of charge within the new Grid 3 communication software, and some are available for The Grid 2 as well. Offering interfaces that range from basic, with only a few cells, to those with much more on a page, these vocabularies can support users from starting symbol communication through to developing literacy.
Beeline is a symbol-based, single word vocabulary designed for users with relatively good language skills.
Beeline offers a large, single word or short common phrase vocabulary with a view to generating novel sentences. The majority of the high frequency core vocabulary is accessed by one or two selections with a maximum of three selections for the majority of words.
Beeline follows a rigid structure that makes it relatively easy to locate and add new words.
The consistent layout is designed to help the user generate sentences through motor planning. Theories of motor planning and automaticity have been applied to the creation of Beeline.
- Designed for symbol users ready to make their own sentences word by word.
- Core words on top page with access to topic pages.
- Majority of the large vocabulary accessed from just 1-3 selections.
- Special features such as email, internet and media player.
- Easy for parents, teachers and SLT‟s to add content within existing structure.
- Lesson plans that fit within the curriculum level 6.
- Includes verb morphology, word completion and next word prediction.
To try these Grid Sets you must have Grid 3 installed.
Symbol Talker grid sets included with Grid 3 provide a four step pathway that takes you from simple sentence building to advanced message generation with symbols.
As you progress through the levels the grid size also increases as does the complexity and structure of the language. All of the Symbol Talker grid sets include a keyboard with prediction, quick chat pages and special pages.
Symbol Talker A is designed for somebody starting off with alternative communication. Words are organised by topic. On each topic grid you can build simple sentences from one or two selections.
Symbol Talker B
Symbol Talker B builds on the language and access skills that have been established and provides vocabulary to build sentences from up to three selections.
Symbol Talker C
Symbol Talker C provides a transition for people that have successfully communicated with a topic based vocabulary and are ready to use more language tools to say more. Core vocabulary is the name given to the words we speak most often. In Symbol Talker C you can access core vocabulary on each topic grid, giving you the power to create a much wider variety of sentences.
Symbol Talker D
Symbol Talker D promotes core vocabulary to the top page. This means you can generate novel sentences very quickly and you only need to visit topic pages to find less common words. The smart grammar tools in Grid 3 help you generate grammatically correct sentences with fewer selections.
Each Symbol Talker grid set also includes a ‘Special’ page with additional features and resources. These include music and video, an accessible camera and environment control.
Grid 3 also provides fully symbolised SMS and email so everyone can stay connected with friends and family.
Vocabulary for Life
Vocabulary for Life is aimed at young adults who have experience of low and/or high tech AAC.
- Designed for older teens/young adults
- Category based and context based grids.
- Large vocabulary of single words and pre-stored phrases.
- Uses the wordlist features of Grid 3 to maximise the vocabulary available on each grid.
- Complete sentence generation on each grid.
- Provides vocabulary to support the City & Guilds AAC Course at Entry levels 2-3.
- Includes “Adult” vocabulary eg. swear words.
To try these grid sets you must have Grid 3 installed.
There are two major sections within the Vocabulary for Life grid set. The first section is a set of category based grids e.g. meals, drinks, actions, etc. The second section contains the ‘Vocabulary for Life’ grids that include context specific pre-stored messages. They are designed to be used in specific situations such as ‘at the bank’, ‘eating out’ and ‘personal safety’.