Compass, Sono Flex & Sono Lexis
Compass – flexible software offering the ‘CoreFirst’ communication interface.
Communication is about sharing, socializing, and connecting with the people most important in your life. Compass creates a world of possibility for fast and efficient communication, providing the largest variety of content available in any AAC solution.
Compass is a collection of communication interfaces at a variety of levels, in either text or symbol representation. It allows for growth from one level to the next, or is a useful tool for those supporting multiple AAC users.
We’ve been talking about providing robust, language-rich ‘vocabularies’ (or communication interfaces) and CoreFirst, one of the interfaces available with Compass, is a great tool for this. It meets the user where they currently are, and offers the ability to expand the interface as they develop communication skills.
- In Compass, a Pageset Wizard quickly guides you to the most appropriate communication page sets, meeting your specific communication needs.
- The ‘CoreFirst’ communication interface is a symbol based, core-vocabulary focused system, with the ability to support growing language use.
- The one-of-a kind ‘Stroke & Brain Injury’ communication interface is based on research, clinical experience, and field-testing, and provides new opportunities for successful communication specifically for people with aphasia.
- Easy access to pre-stored messages for games, shops, restaurants, school and many of your favourite activities.
- Don’t miss your turn to jump into the conversation with QuickFires and QuickPhrases.
- Unique, research-based Core Word Strategy helps you develop and use rich and creative communication.
Download the Compass info sheet here.
CoreFirst requires Compass to run.
Communicator 5 – powerful software offering the ‘Sono Flex’ and ‘Sono Lexis’ communication interfaces.
Tobii Sono Flex
Offering a sound starting point on which to build a large common vocabulary, Tobii Sono Flex combines core and topic-based vocabulary to help develop communication abilities.
- Combines core and topic-based vocabulary in a unique and dynamic way
- Over 50 pre-installed context vocabularies
- Includes more than 11,000 SymbolStix® symbols
- Can access the camera and photo reel on iPhone and iPad to create personalised symbols
- 5 high-quality acapela voice: one boy, one girl, one adult male and two adult female
- Available for Apple and Android devices, as well as PCs and dedicated speech devices using Tobii Communicator
- Can be combined with other Sono Suite products and hardware platforms
Tobii Sono Lexis
Sono Lexis combines the advantages of motor memory learning through a solid navigation architecture, with the approach of the Fitzgerald Key, a one-symbol-per concept layout. Users need not learn hundreds of abstract icon combinations, nor lose their way in a maze of ready designed symbol pages.
The system adopts the concept of a core vocabulary, meaning that a moderate number of flexible and generic words make up a large portion of all spoken utterances. Page sets are easy to individualise and maintain, but most importantly, the concept shortens the user’s initial learning phase. Focus has been put on enabling users to manouevre through the vocabulary autonomously. Smart navigation functions offer a variety of feedback features, maximum structure consistency, and a step-by-step complexity gauge.
Grammar functions, like changing verb tenses, are easy to apply and it is easy to personalise the settings. A ‘quick access’ variant increases speed for advanced users. Three different grid sizes, each with a high structure and quick access version, coupled with the context module system, ensure that Sono Lexis matches a range of preferences and needs.
Modules such as phone use, text messaging (SMS), instant messaging or email are easily incorporated into Sono Lexis, and fully benefit from the sophisticated functions of Tobii Communicator 5 software.
Sono Lexis and Sono Flex require Tobii Communicator to run.