PODD – A must have resource in AAC
PODD (Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display) is a resource that helps you to create a wide range of low-tech communication books to suit varying communication, language and sensory requirements. It is especially useful in the South African context as these low-tech books are inexpensive to produce, and one purchase of the software allows the production of books for any number of learners/patients.
It provides teachers, therapists or parents with detailed information and guidelines on developing an appropriate communication book and also describes strategies to enable the use of the system in the child’s daily life – at home, at school and in the community.
PODD is presented using PCS symbols, and available as an add-on for BoardMaker v5 or 6 for the low-tech version, or in a 15-cell digital version for The Grid 2 or 3, this is for anybody supporting people who are learning to communicate using aided symbols.
What does the resource contain?
The resource provides templates to create a range of PODD communication books designed for children who use direct pointing with a whole hand, finger or pointer. Some of these page sets can also be modified to accommodate pick up and give/show or partner assisted scanning access methodologies.
The 3 x CD-Rom set includes:
• A full version of the book titled Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display communication books by Gayle Porter (2007). This publication describes the theoretical underpinnings and features of PODD communication books and includes a detailed section on teaching learning strategies.
• Templates for fourteen different PODD communication books from simple early functions to complex syntax. These templates can be viewed and customised using Boardmaker version 5 or later (not included) – not compatible with Boardmaker Studio.
To support you to make customised PODD communication books, each set of templates includes:
• An information file providing a detailed description for that communication book’s language, page layout, vocabulary organisation and navigation pathways.
• Construction files providing specific instructions for printing and constructing each communication book.
What’s on the CDs?
The book: Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) communication books in PDF format
– Step by step instructions for selecting and customising a PODD template to suit individual requirements
– Vocabulary ideas
– Colour master file (Boardmaker format)
– Template folders for one page opening PODD communication books, from nine per page early functions to twenty per page expanded functions
– Template folders for group PODD communication books
• CD2 contains template folders for two page opening PODD communication books: forty key word, seventy expanded key word and one hundred plus complex syntax.
• CD3 contains template folders for two page opening with side panel PODD communication books: thirty six key word, forty eight expanded keyword and ninety plus complex syntax.
System Requirements for the low tech version:
– Boardmaker for Windows or Mac version 5 or later for printing and customising the templates.
– Adobe Reader.
– CD-Rom drive.
System Requirements for the digital version:
– The Grid 2 or 3
– PCS Symbols for The Grid license
For more information about PODD click here.